Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Cowboys and Indians


Okay, before you blast me about politically incorrect stereotypes and how inappropriate it is for me to dress my white son in a cowboy hat as he shoots his toy gun towards his much darker brother from India, let me just say that I had nothing to do with their play. They are simply two brothers out having fun like little boys do, and for them the term "Indian" means soldier as much as it does either a Native American or a person from India (even though Malachi himself is from India). I know that sounds strange, but somewhere along the way, perhaps from overhearing the television while his Daddy watched the History Channel, Caleb made a connection between "Indians" (as in Native Americans) and soldiers, and ever since he has referred to soldiers as Indians (though he has lately started to use the term soldier as well). So, being little boys, Caleb and Malachi love to get out with their toy guns and play pretend games, and being sons of a military officer, they love pretending to be soldiers, or in their own terms "cowboys and Indians." Oh, and Malachi has a cowboy hat also, but on this particular day he chose to be Annakin Sywalker from Star Wars instead, with the "lifesaver" as his weapon of choice.










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures!! And I think "Cowboys and Indians" is kind of funny, but I'm weird like that! ;)

Hope all is well with you guys!
Jen Browder