Monday, December 7, 2009

Adoption Update

We finally received our USCIS fingerprint notice today, a month after we sent in the paperwork. Unfortunately it's for a date that we can't make. I had actually called last week to check on our paperwork and found out then the scheduled date for fingerprinting, so I already knew before we got the notice today that it would be a problem. I tried calling again last week to get the date changed, but the person said the only way to do that was to wait until we got the notice in the mail and then send it back requesting a new date. Uuughh! Why in this day of computers and instant communication through the internet and email do we have to wait on snail-mail to deliver 1 piece of paper before we can work to correct a problem, then wait for that piece of paper to get delivered back before we can hope to get any answer. Since I found out about the date conflict last week I was prepared for the notice when it finally arrived. I had already typed a letter requesting us to appear as walk-ins for fingerprinting. Once our fingerprint notices arrived I got in the car and shipped the request to arrive tomorrow morning. I am praying they respond to us tomorrow by phone or email as I had requested and tell us we can come as a walk-in. The website says military personnel do not need appointments, so I included a copy of Ernie's military ID. With respect to the obvious question about why we even bothered to make the request since military personnel do not need appointments, we would not want to make the drive (at least 4 hours one-way, so it's an all day journey) and end up with me not getting fingerprinted also.

In other news, we had our first snow this weekend. The boys have associated snow with Christmas, so they thought when it snowed that meant it was Christmas. Of course, it wasn't Christmas but it was St. Nicholas Day this weekend, and since Ernie was born in Europe I usually try to celebrate this day as well. However, we've been pretty busy lately so it didn't happen. I think I may try to have a good dinner, Christmas cake, and a few presents in a few days for a late St. Nicholas Day celebration. The kids will never know the difference! Thus, since I have no pictures of this St. Nicholas Day I will leave you with some of my favorite St. Nicholas Day pictures. They were from Caleb's first St. Nicholas Day at 7 months old.









A few from the next day...



Lastly, because it was at this same time that we first saw Christina's picture on an online photolisting for waiting children and we started the adoption process for her, I'm including that picture of her from 5 years ago that led her into our arms.

1 comment:

Mom 4 Kids said...

I hope that you get to come in as walk ins! I love the photos of your children, I think that it is amazing how they all favor each other in some way even though they are from completely different back grounds. Beautiful!